Cool IT News 94

The winter is knocking on the door, let warm yourself up by computer case. Cool IT News is here with weekly fresh IT update.



Ubuntu revealed results of HW research

Ubuntu user research

The Canonical, standing behind Windows with source codes, we are sorry, behind Linux Ubuntu distribution, released the results of the user hardware survey. The 66% users of distribution 18.04 LTS have involved in the survey. An interesting finding is that 80% of installations were new, the remaining 20% was only an upgrade from previous releases. The most common monitor resolution is 1920x1080 and most users (51%) have 1-4GB of RAM. A total of 18% of the installations were virtualized. More information


OpenBSD 6.4 was released

OpenBSD, popular operating system, which is especially popular for truly paranoid admins, has 45th version with serial number 6.4 and brings many innovations. The one of them is the extensive hardware support, especially external network cards and Radeon. The vmm virtualization tool can work with qcow2 format discs. And that's just some of the great news of this release. More information


Apple will show your data

Apple is data transparent

Apple launched a new portal called privacy.apple.com last week, which is also fully localized to Czech language. The entire portal is dedicated to personal data and anybody can view or download all the information that Apple collects about him after logging on to his Apple ID. At the same time, you can also cancel the account. If you want to download a complete database of photos and videos in original format, you have to wait seven days due to security and technical reasons. More information







The world of BSD








Security news


VLC and MPlayer

A new critical vulnerability has been discovered in the live555 library, which is mainly used in VLC or MPlayer. The remote attacker could cause buffer overflow with a specially modified packet and run a stitched code. The fix was published in live555 2018.10.17. More information


NAS again

It did not take long and we have another bad news for the NAS owners. The newly discovered critical vulnerability causes several model series. Netgear Stora, Seagate GoFlex Home, and Medion LifeCloud are vulnerable through the REST API and /api/2.0/rest/aggregator/xml using the old version of the libxml2 library. WD MyBook Live and some WD MyCloud NAS are then vulnerable via /api/1.0/rest/language_configuration. More information



News from Coolhousing

News from Coolhousing


New offer of dedicated servers

New dedicated server offer


Coolhousing Datacenter comes with a brand new offer of HPE and SuperMicro dedicated servers. If you look for mailserver, storage or performed server for virtualization, dedicated servers from Coolhousing will entirely satisfied your demand. More information




Author: Jirka Dvořák



Customer
support

By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics and personalised content. More...
Agree